History - Stained Glass Windows

The history, and origins of the Church windows illustrate the personal and communal values of past congregations.

Thomas Howie

Thomas Howie  window locatonThe second window in the North wall of the nave in our church was gifted by the Late Mr. Thomas Howie, as a thanks offering to God for 50 years of happy married life.

The window was dedicated by the Rev. George McLeod Dunn on the 26th February 1950.

Mr. Howie was a farmer for much of his working Life (latterly in farmland valuation) so its not surprising that the theme of the window design is that of ‘thanksgiving’ accompanied by kindred subjects of the ‘sower’ and the ‘reaper’.

In the centre of the window is the figure of David, arrayed in all his regal splendour and standing in an attitude of praise as he extols the virtues and the blessings of God. The text ‘I will sing of the mercies of the lord for ever’, is from Psalm 89 verse 1. Forming a background to this central figure is the ‘tree of life’. The sower is represented at the base of the window by St. Columba, bringing the first seeds of spiritual enlightenment to Scotland. In his right hand he holds a cross and in his left he grasps a parchment denoting ‘the Gospel’. In the background the foundation of our church is symbolised by lona Cathedral. A small motif incorporating the seeds, the fowls of the air, and the thorns is also included at the base.

The reaper at the top of the window is represented by Christ gathering the harvest of the earth (Revelations 14 verse 15) as he stands upon a rock (salvation) from which flow the ‘Living waters’. An angel bearing a Lamp (spiritual guidance) accompanies the divine reaper and behind the figure of Christ we find ‘the cross’ entwined with the ‘true vine’.

Mr Howie was for over 30 years Convenor of the Fabric Committee, and later appointed Convenor of the Finance Committee.

He also gifted the stained glass window in the chanceL (the one alongside the organ) in 1936. For many years he maintained at his own expense the fLowerbeds in the church grounds.

Mr Howie became Provost of Prestwick in 1931, and in 1934 he presented as gifts to the town a shelter on the esplanade and the ‘Howie Bowling Green’, well known to many of our church members.