In December 1903 Ayr Presbytery wrote to the Kirk Session of Monkton and Prestwick Church (St. Cuthbert) that in their opinion additional church accommodation was urgently required in the south end of the Parish in Prestwick. It should be remembered that at this period of time the Monkton and Prestwick Parish Church (St. Cuthbert) together with the small mission hail at Prestwick Toll were the only National Church in Prestwick, the former Free Church of Prestwick (North Church) and the former United Presbyterian Church (South Church) only became part of the Church of Scotland later.
The Kirk Session of Monkton and Prestwick Church (St. Cuthbert) gave this
request very careful consideration but expressed agreement that increased
church accommodation was required at the south end of their parish due to
the ever expanding town of Prestwick.
lt was realised that this was a very large undertaking but it was enthusiastically approached through the appointment of a building sub-committee within the Monkton and Prestwick Parish Church (St. Cuthbert) Kirk Session.
Determining where the new church was to be situated was resolved when M. William Weir of Adamton acquired the site of Sandfield in May 1905.
Late in 1905 the Kirk Session of Monkton and Prestwick (St. Cuthbert) prepared a circular letter to their congregation and sympathisers appealing for subscriptions towards the building funds of the proposed new church at Sandfield (now the corner of Bellevue Road and Main Street). The appeal was successful, and the building sub-committee agreed in June 1906 to appoint Mr. Peter MacGregor Chalmers a noted Glasgow architect of ecclesiastical buildings whose proposed ideas were reviewed and finally agreed In March 1907.
Mr. Peter MacGregor Chalmers masterly interpreted the twelfth-century Romanesque style to suit early twentieth-century expectations of both worship patterns and church design. Through the cruciform design with its centre aisled Nave together with the high set Communion Table at the far end of the Chancel flanked by choir stalls with the pulpit at the left side of the junction of the Nave and Chancel. The revived Romanesque style of round-headed arches cylindrical columns with their cushion capitals carved at their top has given us a beautiful biuilding exposing an exceptional quality of architecture and of the stone mason’s skill in working with Mauchline sandstone.
The building sub-committee were able to proceed to accept final estimates in September 1907 and commenced building the new church now to be known as St. Nicholas Church, Prestwick.
On the 7th March 1908 the Memorial Stone was laid by Mrs. Weir of Adamton.
Following the laying of the Memorial Stone work continued apace with the completion of the Church, Church Hall, Vestry, Session Room, Choir Room and the toilet facilities in time for the Dedication Service (the Manse was also complete but unoccupied until the Rev. James M. Crawford was inducted into the Church).
St Nicholas Parish Church was solemnly dedicated on Friday 20th November 1908 by the Right Rev. Theodore Marshall D.D. Moderator of the General Assembly. The opening service on Sunday 22nd November 1908 was conducted by the Very Rev. Arch. Scott D.D. of St. George’s Church Edinburgh assisted by Rev. D. Reid of St. Cuthbert’s Church, Prestwick. As can be imagined the church was filled to capacity at all the services.
On the 3rd December 1908 Ayr Presbytery inducted St Nicholas' first minister – Rev. James M. Crawford.